How to get Married in Tahiti
Want to legally get married on Bora Bora or Moorea?
Ask Tahiti Travel Mate how!
Civil Weddings in the islands of Tahiti are legally binding for American and Canadian nationals. Couples who wish to be legally married in the islands of Tahiti can have a memorable and meaningful wedding in one of the most beautiful, romantic places on Earth!
Same-sex couples may also be legally married in French Polynesia since the passing of the Marriage Equality Act in France.
The Civil "legal" Wedding Ceremony is a simple, 20-30 minute ceremony conducted by a Government official at the town hall on the islands of Tahiti, Moorea, Bora Bora and Taha’a. Civil Ceremony packages range from $1,200.00-$2,000.00.
There are necessary steps and documents required in order to have a legally binding ceremony in French Polynesia. However, as the first travel agency in North America to organize a legal ceremony for our clients and with the amount of ceremonies organized in the last few years, we are very able to assist you through this process.
We have outlined the necessary steps and documents required in order to have a legally binding wedding ceremony in French Polynesia.
Please note that this process will take approximately three to five months to complete. So, be sure and plan ahead!
Eligibility to Get Married in Tahiti:
• Both spouses must be at least 18 years old.
• Neither spouse can be currently married.
• The couple cannot be related by direct lineage.
• The couple cannot be French nationals or residents of France
• The bride and the groom must each choose a witness who must be 18 years of age or older (if the chosen witness is not present, the mayor’s office can provide a witness).
• The “Marriage of Foreign Citizens in French Polynesia” application must be completed.
• A letter signed and dated by both future spouses, addressed to the mayor of the commune chosen for the marriage ceremony.
• A copy of both spouses' passports is required for proof of identity
• A certified copy of both spouses’ birth certificates authenticated with an “Apostille” (note: the birth certificates must have been issued less than 6 months prior to the date of the marriage). Both of the birth certificates and the “Apostille” must be translated into French by an approved translator and legalized by the French Consulate. Translators can be found on the consulate’s website.
• A “Certificate of Non-Marital Status” (“Certificat de Celibat”) signed by a lawyer, translated into French and legalized by the French Consulate. Lawyers can be found on the consulate’s website.
• Proof of residency for both of the future spouses (a utility bill or any bill noting names and physical address will suffice). A photocopy of bills for both spouses is acceptable.
• Optional, if a prenuptial agreement has been created, it must be translated into French and authenticated by the French Consulate.
Send All Materials to French Polynesia!
• Expedite all materials to the mayor’s office of the commune in which the couple is getting married at least 45 days prior to the ceremony.
• The mayor’s office will then contact the bride and groom to advise them of the approved date and time of the wedding.
About The Ceremony:
• On the day of the ceremony the couple, their guests and the witnesses go to the city hall (Mairie).
• The Mayor (or an appointed representative from the mayor’s office) will perform the ceremony, in the presence of at least two witnesses in the language chosen by the wedding couple.
• After the ceremony, the mayor will give the couple a Marriage Certificate. This certificate will be dated and signed by the Mayor’s office of the commune in which the marriage takes place.
Once you have been legally married you will then return to your resort where you can continue your nuptials with a romantic Tahitian Wedding Ceremony. Tahiti Travel Mate can arrange everything for you and your loved one, from the Legal Ceremony and assistance with the necessary paperwork requirements, to a romantic Candlelit Dinner on the beach following your traditional Tahitian wedding ceremony. It is difficult to imagine a more romantic setting and you'll treasure the memories for a lifetime.